Domestic Violence Lawyer in San Antonio
The law allows for the issuance of restraining orders, also known as orders
of protection, requiring a person to cease specific behaviors. Restraining
orders are most commonly associated with
domestic violence, physical abuse, harassment, stalking, sexual
assault, and similar crimes. If someone has had a restraining order issued with
your name on it, consult with our experienced San Antonio criminal defense
lawyer who understands our state's domestic violence laws thoroughly.
When you work with the
Law Office of Kerrisa Chelkowski, you receive the benefit of having a former prosecutor fighting for you
– I know what to expect from the other side. With nearly ten years
of experience in criminal defense law, I understand the inner workings
of the criminal justice system.
The Dos and Don'ts of Restraining Orders
Although a restraining order is a serious issue, you have valuable rights
worth protecting – the right to be properly notified, the right
to a court hearing, and the right to be represented by a lawyer. You especially
want to assemble any information that could indicate the petitioner has
made false accusations.
If someone petitions for a restraining order against you, here are steps to take:
- Do obey any temporary restraining orders.
- Do gather physical evidence relating to any incidents discussed in the
petition (e.g., clothing, photos, etc.).
- Do collect any documentation related to the incidents (e.g., emails, voicemails,
computer files, etc.).
- Do create a list of potential witnesses and their contact information.
Equally important is knowing what behavior to avoid if you are confronted
with a petition for a restraining order:
- Don't destroy evidence that you believe to be incriminating. This behavior
automatically looks suspicious the court.
- Don't try to contact the petitioner or any witnesses, even via email
or text messages.
- Don't disregard a temporary restraining order in any way, even if it
limits your contact with your children or other family members.
Hire a Skilled Domestic Violence Lawyer
Many times a person is completely caught off guard by a restraining order.
The emotional turmoil that takes place can make it very difficult to know
what to do next. Start with a case evaluation from a trusted San Antonio
domestic violence attorney. Defeating the accusations against you will
require solid evidence and convincing arguments from a legal professional
who is committed to protecting your rights and interests.
testimonials of my satisfied clients or
contact my San Antonio criminal defense office today for immediate assistance.